Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The future of news

This semester I'm taking a course with the legendary Max McCombs (father of agenda-setting) that is entirely focused on researching and writing about a topic close to my interests: the future of news. In fact, that's the title of a book that will be published as a result of the course — a McCombs-edited volume called "The Future of News: An Agenda of Perspectives." The 10 students in the class will contribute, either individually or as co-authors, to the various chapters in the book.

Based on what I can see of it now, the project will be a massive lit review of academic and professional thinking on this subject, synthesized in a way that allows us to make some projections about the future of journalism. Right now, of course, we're in the preliminary scanning stage, scouring for sources high and low. I'll publish soon some of our initial readings, and I expect the class will provide good fodder for posts here. I welcome all suggestions, too.

No comments: